Sail Repair Seminar

Last Fall I took Carol Hasse's excellent two day sail repair seminar. For my own reference I wanted to photodocument a few of the things I did in the course. One of the most valuable things we did in the course was hands on practice. The second most valuable thing for me was the hour we spent pulling sails out of bags and evaluating them under her guidance. I learned a lot about what makes a sturdy sail and how to check my own sails.

Here are the two pieces of dacron we worked on. The top is all machine stitching repairs any of which can also be done by hand. On that piece we reinforced the edge of a sail as if it had been chafed or damaged and repaired holes in the sail with either more dacron or a dacron sail patch. The piece underneath is all hand sewing.

Carol Hasse sail repair seminar

In the hand sewing section of the course we sewed on a ring such as you might sew a hank onto (a hank is used to clip a sail onto the wire that it is hoisted up on) and then in another pressed ring we sewed on our own hank:

Sewn in ring and sewn on hank

Sewn in ring and sewn on hank

A hand sewn sail slide:

Sewn on sail slide

Leather chafe protection:

Leather chafe gear

And a hand sewn reefing point inside of a hydraulically pressed ring:

Mini reefing point

We also reinforced an imaginary ring:

Reinforcing and imaginary ring

I have a number of repairs to make on our own sails including resewing the sun protection strip on the two headsails, installing chafe gear on both of those sail pennants and perhaps adding some metal sail slides at the stop and bottom of the mainsail.

- L

3 comments:

  1. Jealous! That looks like a great seminar Why don't we have courses like that here???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally jealous! Your work looks professional. Now I have to figure out how I can get at that course myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LIQUID MOTIVATION

Click on the dollar and buy Livia and Carol a cold frosty one:

DON'T MISS A POST

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

INSTAGRAM

RANDOM POSTS