NOAA Beaufort Sea State Images

There was a poster with these images at the Seattle Boat Show. I had seen them once before but it was a long time ago and I enjoyed trying to match what I had experienced with the numbers.

Note the descriptions underneath each photo. There is a full description on wiki if you want more information but it is fun just to scroll through these all at once and watch the progression.

Beaufort_scale_0

Beaufort_scale_1

Beaufort_scale_2

Beaufort_scale_3

Beaufort_scale_4

Beaufort_scale_5

Beaufort_scale_6

Beaufort_scale_7

Beaufort_scale_8

Beaufort_scale_9

Beaufort_scale_10

Beaufort_scale_11

Beaufort_scale_12
All photos are public domain, copyrighted by NOAA.

3 comments:

  1. Its never blowing as hard as it looks. I'll look at the sea state and guess its a gale, then when I see the actual recorded its about 22 kn or so. I'm a bad guesser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relationship of wind speed and sea state is different for each region. Waves and white caps depend of the fetch, the depth, the echo factor and wave trains that might form pyramidal crests, and even temperature and atmospheric pressure.
    I prefer to base myself on a smoke stack and the ability to yell to crew on deck...
    Or just my own fear to change the jib...

    ReplyDelete

LIQUID MOTIVATION

Click on the dollar and buy Livia and Carol a cold frosty one:

DON'T MISS A POST

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

INSTAGRAM

RANDOM POSTS